Thursday, May 21, 2015

Telling Time

Telling Time Terrifically

Time is an important real life skill we all need to learn! Even though we may have digital watches, finding start time, elapsed time or end time is something we use everyday! 
 

We often need to decide what time we need to leave for school or soccer practice. Sometimes we need to tell our mom or dad what time to pick us up after a play date. Mrs. Broussard might even ask us how much time we spent on our homework or practicing our multiplication facts. 

When we are asked to find the "start time" we usually have to count back. Finding the end time means we count forward. Elapsed time means the amount of time in between the beginning and end of something. 
In class we wrote riddles to each other via a google doc. We listed some information and had our friends find either start time, elapsed time, or end time. 
Some strategies we used to help solve problems are time lines, clocks or mental math. 

Write a short story problem asking a friend to find either start time, elapsed time, or end time. Be sure to write your clues and question clearly! When responding to a friend tell us what strategy you used!

6 comments:

  1. Dear Teddi,
    If Judah went to soccer practice at 3:20 and finished at 5:32 and Zoe went from 4:30 to 6:24. Who went more and how much more?
    Can you solve my problem? Good luck!!
    From ,
    Aanshi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Francis,
    Kimia went to the mall. She left the house at 11:45 am. She left the mall at 2:56 pm. How much elapsed time past by?

    Your Friend,
    Raana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jordyn,
    Here is my time problem.

    The school day is completed at 2:20. I spend 40 minutes eating a savory snack, 1 hour doing challenging homework, and 1 hour playing a tremendously fun game with my sister. It takes 30 quick minutes to get ready for soccer practice, and it takes me 30 long minutes to get there. At what time do I begin playing soccer?
    [Hint: You need to find the end time.]
    Have fun solving my realistic problem!
    Good luck!
    From,
    Zoe


    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Braeden,
    My start time in baseball is 4:00 my end time is 7:24 of my game there is an hour of practice in the game.
    How much time was my baseball game in all.
    From,
    Evan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lev,
    I wake up at 7:00am. I get dressed for 2 minutes, I eat breakfast for 15 minutes. I brush my teeth for 3 minutes. I pet my dogs while I talk to my dad for 4 minutes. I leave my house at 7:40 each morning. How much free time do I have to hang out at home before we need to leave. Good luck Lev.

    Your friend,
    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yehuda (A.K.A Judah)May 28, 2015 at 3:22 PM

    Dear Lev,
    My Soccer game was at 10:30, and ended at 11:48. What is the elapsed time? I also got there at 9:51, and had a 27 minute practice before the game. What is the end time? I hope you figure it out!
    Sincerely,
    Judah (A.K.A. Yehuda, as we Israelis say)

    ReplyDelete