Thursday, May 28, 2015

Meet Dash!

Meet Dash

We had the wonderful opportunity to code a robot! Yes, an actual robot! His name is Dash. 

 

Each group of students worked collaboratively to design a plan of what they wanted Dash to do. Some groups wanted Dash to dance, complete an obstacle course, or draw a picture. Robots do not possess the same brain power we do, so they must receive detailed instructions to complete the simplest task.
After deciding on a plan each team worked together to write lines of code to program Dash. He had a very busy day. 
Watch a video of one of our groups who coded a familiar dance. 



Did you have and extraordinary time coding a robot? What do you think makes coding an educational experience? Please write 3 to 5 sentences describing what you and your team had Dash do and what important lesson or skill you may have learned or practiced. Make sure you write at least 2 compound sentences! If you don't remember how to write a compound sentence check out this blog post

4 comments:

  1. Dear Room 9,
    I had a great time coding dash. I have never coded a robot and never saw a robot. What my group Zuma did was that we tried to make dash draw a star. So, we tied a rubber band to Dash and tied the pen with the rubber band. Then, he drew a star! The skill that we used is angles. For Example, we had to code to make dash go 90 degrees and then he drew a star! What an exciting time we had with dash!
    Sincerly,Lev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Room 9,
    I am at Topanga Beach and with my team of Braeden, Jacob, Max, and Tyler.
    My beach and Jordyn made an obstacle course. Dash completed it almost perfectly.
    I think Dash is amazing and he is a great robot to create coding.
    It would be great for the school to buy more of the robots named Dash, because they are really extraordinary. I learned that you can code a robot and tell it what to do without using a desk computer. It was fun and a learning experience!
    From,
    Evan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Room 9,
    I had an extraordinary time coding Dash! I think coding is educational because it gets everyone thinking about where to put everything .For example, if you were making Dash make a star, you would have to think about the angles and blocks to put. My team and I made Dash go up a ramp made by a giant clock and two clipboards and at the end say, “Whee!”. The first time we tried to do it , Dash stopped right in front of the clipboards.The second time we made him start at a different spot and he went half way up before sliding down. The third time, Dash successfully went up and down the ramp and at the end he said,” Whee!”. A skill I learned is that always make sure any little pieces of anything are cleared and don’t put your hands close to Dash when he is in motion. As you can see, I had a thrilling time coding Dash! I hope he will come back next year! Do you?

    Your friend who loved coding Dash,
    Sophia S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Room 9,
    I had a memorable experience with Dash. Since he followed our commands, he was extraordinary. My group (Topanga) including Evan, Braeden, Maxwell, Jacob and myself, made Dash attempt a challenging obstacle course. I think coding is educational because it teaches you to be specific with your commands. I hope Chaparral gets another Dash robot so the students can learn while having fun.

    Sincerely,
    Tyler

    ReplyDelete