Monday, March 30, 2015

Perfect Polygons

Perfect Polygons

Geometry is a fascinating area in math. Many people wonder how learning about shapes and lines help us be better mathematicians. 

Maybe after today's lesson you may have an answer. 

Today we talked about polygons. 

We compared and contrasted the features of polygons and non polygons and created educreation videos to help us classify shapes around the room. Watch some below. 




 

 

We also created videos to help us understand what shapes are NOT polygons.  

 

 

 

Write three to four sentences answering the following:

How do you think learning about shapes helps you be better at math? Why do you think learning about geometry is important? How do you use it in your life? 

2 comments:

  1. Dear Room 9,

    I think learning about shapes and geometry helps me with math because it helps me learn multiplication when I have to figure out the area of shapes.

    I am using it right now in real life because we are changing our kitchen and they sent us a drawing with the different shapes of counters and cabinets. The pictures had the size of each wall and shape.

    Love,
    Sophia N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Polygon Masters of Room 9,

    I think learning about shapes helps me to be better at math because it can help me visualize problems. I think learning about geometry is important because I use it in my life. One example is when my parents are driving, there are signs on the road. A stop sign is an octagon shape and a yield sign is a triangle. Drivers must know shapes and signs to quickly identify traffic laws. Another example is when I am playing sports and my coach tells me the plan or strategy for the game. If I am in goal, I have to recognize different types of angles for goal kicks. There could be offenders directly in front of me, in a''right angle'', or there could be midfielders standing towards the sideline, at an obtuse angle. Lastly, there could be defenders blocking players just in the inside of the offenders, which makes them in an acute angle from me. Being able to recognize their positions helps me direct my play.

    If I have a soccer field that is 2 miles wide and 1 mile long, what is the area of the soccer field?

    Good luck!

    From your geometry loving friend,

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete