Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Dependent Clause

The Laws of a Clause 

Since we are such excellent writers, we have been practicing creating compound sentences. Usually compound sentences have two parts, an independent and dependent clause. 

Independent clause : has a subject and verb and can be a complete sentence. It can stand alone, or is independent.

Dependent clause : Is not a complete thought and depends on the independent clause to "earn" or be part of a complete sentence. 

 You will have to follow certain laws when you use these clauses. Click on the link below the BrainpopJr. picture to watch Moby explain one of the important laws. 

 
Brainpopjr. Clauses

When writing a compound sentence, you will most likely use a conjunction. Here is a list of some great conjunctions.   

 
Please write a comment using a compound sentence. Ask a friend to identify the independent clause, dependent clause and the conjunction. As a challenge try starting your sentence with a dependent clause.

6 comments:

  1. hfgonriognqeoirng]oignroinvo[inv[oeri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lev,

    Can you identify the independent clause, the dependent clause and the conjunction in my sentence?

    Although I like football, I also like handball.

    Good luck.
    Your friend,
    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Evan,
    What is my dependent and independent clause in this sentence?
    After they eat lunch, they will play tennis.
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!

    independent man
    Braeden

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Abril,
    Please identify dependent and independent clauses and the conjunction in this sentence:
    I went shopping with my friends since my closet was low on clothing.
    Good Luck! Hope your feeling better soon!
    Your friend that misses you a lot,
    Sophia S.
    P.S. for E.C, find the verbs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jordyn,
    Can you identify the dependent and independent clause and the conjunction in my sentence?

    Even though I enjoy playing tennis so much, I am better at playing tether ball.

    love,
    Kimia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mrs. Brousard,

    This is Hannah, and I was in your first grade class. I love blogging, and I am glad that you have your own blog. Even though I don't have my own blog, I often write blog posts using my sister's blog. I just learned something new from your blog!

    From,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete