Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Dissecting Division

Dissecting Division

Over the last two weeks we have been dissecting, or studying, what division really means. Below you will find many productions our students made to help us better comprehend division. 



 It is important that we understand division is the sharing of objects equally into groups. 

We practiced this skill in many ways. Here a student is dividing 10 delicious chocolate cookies among 2 famished, or very hungry students.





How many cookies would each student get? 
In this problem the number of cookies is our dividend. It is what is being divided. Two students is the divisor, or how many groups it is being divided into. Our answer or quotient is 5. The quotient is how many are in each group

Here another student is writing a division sentence to match a different word problem. Can you write a word problem to match the picture and number sentence shown in the picture? 


Can you name the dividend, divisor and quotient in this picture?


Pat Hutchins wrote a book called The Doorbell Rang. You can listen to the book by clicking on the video below. How many different division sentences are in this story? 





Please write a comment asking a friend to solve your division problem. Remember division asks how many are in each group, not how many are there in all!  
Your comment must include adjectives, strong vocabulary and expanded sentences.

10 comments:

  1. Dear Francis,
    For my birthday my mom and I made delicious cupcakes for my friends and my teacher.
    We made total of 50 cupcakes.There are 24 students in our class,if we divide the delicious cupcakes equally between the students and Mrs.Broussard how may cupcakes does each person get?
    Good Luck!

    Warmly,
    Kimia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tyler,
    What is the quotient?
    Evan has 96 phenomenal cookies that want to be eaten so badly.
    He is going to give it to 8 friends. How many delicious cookies does each incredible friend get?


    From,
    Braeden

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Teddi,

    Can you master this division problem?

    There are 21 apples in all. 7 apples are in each basket. How many baskets are there in all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Francis,

    My sister Blythe and I have 18 different cheeses on the dinner table. I felt like I was going to explode with hunger and my sister Blythe, well, is always hungry anyway. I was thinking, can we share this delicious cheese equally?

    Can you please answer my question?

    Remember, eat lots of cheese!

    Love,

    Teddi


    Teddi


    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Zoe,
    Are you smart enough to solve my riddle?

    Teddi has 81 delicious cupcakes. I hope she does not get any cavities!
    She wants to SHARE with 8 friends, Sophia , Raana, Abby, Kimia, Jordyn, Sophia , Tyler, and Abril.
    How many will they each get?

    P.S. please response Zoe
    joyfully,
    Aanshi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Aanshi,
      The answer to your magnificent question is 9. Can you solve my challenging riddle?

      Jordyn made 32 paper airplanes. I hope she does not get any paper cuts! She gave them to Judah, Sophia, Tyler, Raana, Francis, Maxim, Estavan, and Sophia. How many did each friend get?

      In your question, what kind of cupcakes did Teddi make?

      Good Luck!

      Anxiously,
      Zoe

      Delete
  6. Dear Jordyn,
    I went to Target and bought some art supplies. I bought 3 packets of paper. There are 21 pages in all. If I have 21 pages of paper, and 3 packets, how many pieces of paper are in each packet?

    Your Artist,
    Raana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear everyone,
    I have a division word problem for you.

    Mr. Sir has 3 small sacks of beans to feed his hungry relatives. All together he has 30 beans. If you were skip counting by 3’s then you count until you got to 30. I used my fingers and used all 10. So that means that I have 10 beans in each sack.
    Also, I have a challenge for you: you have to write the division number sentence and you must name which is the divisor, the dividend, and the quotient!
    From,
    Max

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Braeden,
    Please find out the quotient for this division riddle.
    One day, my mom and I went to Smart & Final Extra to get food. We got a pack of 24 waffles thinking that it would last a 2 weeks. If we ate 11 a week, would we have enough, have reminders, or need more? It would really help because this is all true, and I am sort of lazy with math. Can you reply, please?
    Sincerely,
    Judah who is lazy with math (J.K.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sophia N,

    That's a great question and yes, I can answer your division problem.

    If there are 21 apples in all with 7 apples in each basket, there will be 3 total baskets.

    Now I have a problem for you to answer, Sophia.

    There are 24 books on space in the library, if there are 12 students in the class, what's the total amount of books they can each take home?

    Read lots of books!

    Love,

    Teddi






    ReplyDelete