Thursday, September 11, 2014

Perplexing Puzzles

Over the last few weeks we have been working on number riddles! We used different strategies to solve them including looking at hundred chart patterns and using process of elimination. 
Today we were practicing ordering numbers from least to greatest. We tried taking a picture but some of our numbers were not visible because of a glare. 

For example, in the picture below, R's and J's numbers may be difficult to read. 

 

 In this picture, the S's number is a 4 digit number. The digit in the thousands place is blurry. In ___, 176 what digit could be in the thousands place?

Also, A's, O's and J's numbers are 5 digit numbers but the digit in the ten thousand place is blurry. 

A's number: __ 8 , 765

O's number: __ 9,998

J's number: __ 9,999



What could those digits be? 
Can you think of a riddle? 
Your riddle must include at least three clues. Here are some different clues we have worked on:
-This number is odd
-This number is even
-The ones digit it three more than the tens digit
-The number equals the sum of the hundreds digit and ones digit 
-The number is between 5 and 7

Direct your riddle to one friend. Ask them to solve the riddle using your clues. Your clues must make a number that fits within the number line! 

11 comments:

  1. Dear Jordyn,
    Can you solve this riddle? What is the missing digit for R's number? Here are some clues:
    - I am an even number
    - I am between 1 and 10
    - I am 2 more than 2

    Good luck!
    Mrs. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Evan,
    Thank you for helping me take pictures! I have a riddle I would like you to solve. Can you figure out the missing digit in O's number. _ 9, 998?
    Here are some clues:
    - It is an odd number.
    - It is greater than the number in the ones place.
    - It is between 5 and 10

    Good Luck!
    Mrs. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs, B,
      I have solved the riddle. I think the answer to the riddle is...9
      The reason I think this is because 0s number on the picture is 9 and it was easy since there was only two answers that it could be. The number 7 and 9 are both odd numbers but 1 number is correct and the clue is that the number is greater than the number in the ones place. That number is 8 so it must be the number 9.
      From
      Evan

      Delete
  3. Dear Evan,


    I have a riddle for you can you solve it?
    can you figure out B,s number
    Here are some clues

    - is greater than 80
    -its odd
    -the tens digit is 3 more than the ones


    love
    Ben,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Braeden,
    Can you solve this riddle?
    What is J's number?
    Here are some clues for you.
    This number is between 1 and 10
    This number is odd
    This number is in the Thousands place

    I hope you have good luck solving this riddle

    From your friend,
    Evan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sophia N,
    Can you solve my riddle? It is for A's number : _ 8,765 Here are some clues for the missing ten thousands place.
    -my digit is odd
    -it is less than 10 but greater than 5
    -it is 6 less than 15
    Can you guess my digit?
    love,
    Aanshi

    P.S. Sophia please answer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sophia S,
    Please solve my riddle for J’s missing digit. His number is __ 9,999. Here are the clues.

    - The ten thousands place + the thousands place = 18.
    - The ten thousands digit is odd.
    - The ten thousands place is equal to the thousands place.


    What is your favorite type of math problem? A riddle or a math equation?
    From,
    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Zoe,
      Sorry it took me so long to answer.
      I think the answer is 9.
      the reason I think that is because 9 is equal to 9.
      9 plus 9 also equals 18.
      9 is odd too.
      My favorite math problem is riddles.
      What is yours?

      Love,Sophia S.

      Delete
  7. Dear Evan
    Can you solve this riddle? I am somewhere in between Maxwell and Sophia N.
    Guess my number! I am 3 digit number
    My number is between 900 and 1,000.
    Next clue is that l am an odd number.
    Next clue is that each number can be divided by 3.

    l hope that you get luck to answer this riddle.

    from,
    Philllip

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Evan,
    Try to figure out J's number in the second picture. These are some clues for the missing number:
    - the number is greater than 2
    - the number is three less than the thousands digit
    - the number is an even digit
    Good luck!

    Sincerely,
    Braeden

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mrs B,
    I went to the wax museum and Believe it or not museum over the weekend and had lots of fun and I went with my family and ate pizza.
    What did you do over the weekend?

    sincerely,
    Francis

    ReplyDelete