Monday, September 28, 2015

FABLES 


Over the last few weeks we have been exploring the world of folktales. This week we began reading various fables. Fables are a type of folktale that have the following elements. 


1. The characters in these short stories are usually animals. 

 The Tortoise and The Hare 


2. The animals will often have human characteristics, which is called personification




For example, The Fox and The Stork tell a story of a fox and a stork having dinner together and eating out of a plate.

3. Most importantly, fables have morals or lessons to be learned. 


We have been reading many fables that are claimed to have been told many years ago by a man named Aesop. 

Click here to watch a few Aesop's fables videos.




For this week's post, please comment on:


What is your favorite Aesop fable?  

What is the moral you learned? 

What fable gives you the best lesson for your life? 


------------------------------------- OR --------------------------------------

Who is Aesop? 

Use World Book Online Kids to read some interesting facts about Aesop and Ancient Greece. (login information can be found on the home page of my website)

Share what you learned with us! Remember you must write what you learned in your own words!







5 comments:

  1. Dear Room 9,
    My favorite Aesop fable is The Fox and the Stork. My favorite one is The Fox and the Stork because I like the moral of the story. The moral is do unto others as you would have them do unto you.The fable that is most useful in my life is The Fox and the Crow. The Fox and the Crow is the best lesson for me because the moral is don't always trust flattering complements.
    What is your favorite fable and why?

    Sincerely,
    Miss P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Miss P,
      I also enjoy the fable called the Fox and the Crow. The moral of the story is that being vain can sometimes lead you to trouble. I want to know how you think this fable is useful in your life?
      Have you ever used compliments to get something from someone? Sometimes I will flatter my mother so she will cook me a delicious dinner. Even though my mom receives many compliments she has never grown vain.

      Sincerely,
      a hungry Mrs. B

      Delete
  2. Dear Room 9,

    Did you know that Aesop lived in Ancient Greece 2,500 years ago? That’s a really long time ago! Sometimes his name is spelled Esop. Nobody knows if he is the author of all his fables. Some fables were made before he was born.

    Sincerely,
    Sophia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Room 9,

    My favorite Aesops fable is the Fox And The Stork. I like it the most because the fox thinks he is the smartest because he tries to outwit the stork and does, but then the stork gets his revenge. The moral is to treat others how you want to be treated. My mom always tells me to treat other how you want to be treated. I love Aesops fables.

    From,
    Kaden

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Room 9,

    My favorite Aesop fable is The Rabbit and The Turtle. I learned from this story, because the moral of it is never to think less of someone's ability. For example, I thought my sister could not pitch a baseball as good as me last Saturday, but I was wrong. She was actually much better than me and her team won.

    Sincerely,

    Matthew V.

    ReplyDelete