Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Cause and Effect

 

This week's comprehension skill is "Cause and Effect".

While reading it's good practice to ask yourself "why did this happen?" or "what is going to happen?"


Identifying the cause and effect can help you better understand the text or story!
Often sentences will have signal words that can help you identify the cause and effect.
Some words include:
so 
as a result
because
therefore
consequently
since 
 
Watch this BrainpopJr. for more on cause and effect!  
 

 


search: Cause and Effect 
username and password are on my website



Can you write a sentence and ask a friend to identify the cause and the effect. Remember our strategy! Break the sentence apart. 
When Hunter sneakily stole her tasty popcorn Mrs. Broussard began to cry . 

Ask yourself "What makes most sense?"

Hunter stole her popcorn BECAUSE Mrs. Broussard began to cry. 
or

Mrs. Broussard began to cry BECAUSE Hunter stole her popcorn.

Whichever part of the sentence follows the "because" can be identified as the cause! 
Whichever part precedes, or comes before the "because" is the effect!


Can you write a cause and effect comment? 
Identify which part of the sentence is the cause and which is the effect. 
Write another sentence and ask a friend to find the cause and effect. 
Challenge yourself by writing a sentence that does not use because as a signal word! 

10 comments:

  1. Dear Room 9,
    I tripped over my shoelaces and fell. The cause is that I tripped over my shoelaces and the effect is I fell.
    Try to find the cause and effect of this sentence: The bus was late and caused me to worry.

    Sincerely,
    Sophia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sophia,

      The cause to "The bus was late and caused me to worry is": The bus was late and the effect is that it caused me to worry.Try to find the cause and effect to this sentence: "My dog chewed on my shoe which caused there to be a hole in it."

      Sincerely,
      Alexa

      Delete
  2. Dear Room 9,
    Today I was walking in my house, not paying attention and banged my toe on the wall. I got really hurt. The cause was I banged my toe the effect was I got hurt. Also, I hit the water glass with my elbow and the glass tipped over and spilled. The cause was I hit the water glass the effect was it spilled.
    From,
    Kaden

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Room 9,
    One day at my basketball game I got bumped on the head by a basketball because I wasn't looking and it hit the backboard. The effect was I got bumped in the head. The cause is it hit the backboard and I wasn't looking.

    Find out what the cause and effect of this sentence is: One day at boys and girls club I got bumped during the football game because my friend passed to me and I got bumped In the fence.

    Sincerely,
    Matthew V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Room 9,
    I went to bed late on a school night and I failed my math test the next day. The cause was that I went to bed late and the effect was that I failed my test.
    I jumped into the pool without my goggles and I got water in my eyes. What is the cause and what is the effect in this sentence?

    Sincerely,
    Miss P.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Room 9,
    I almost made a goal at my soccer game so I was very excited. The cause is I almost made a goal; the effect is I was very excited and the signal word is "so".

    Can you find the cause and effect of this sentence? "My dog Ruffy hurt her back so she cried".
    From,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Room 9,
    When I was 3 my dad taught me how to rollerblade and now I can skate backward and forward and go really fast. The cause was my dad taught me how to skate when I was 3, the effect was now I can rollerblade really well. See if you can figure this out Miss Ryan,
    It was very loud outside so I went inside. Whats the cause and whats the effect? This will help you figure it out, which one makes more sense? It was very loud outside because I went inside. or I went inside because it was very loud outside?


    Sincerely,
    Angelisse

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Room 9:

    Mu dog jumped on me for a treat because I was holding it. The cause is I had a treat in my hand and the effect is my dog jumped on me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. DearRoom 9,
    When we went roller skating, my mom lost control and fell on her left elbow.
    The cause is that my mom lost control. The effect is that my mom fell on her elbow and broke
    her arm.
    from
    Mateen

    ReplyDelete